Saturday, July 4, 2009

A lesson form a sport

For any of you who have seen me at a sporting event you would know that I like them.....allot. Why do I like sports? Apart from the fact that it is fun to see a good, out of no where tackle, people celebrating, the feel the energy, and the great shots made by unexpected players, I like sports because their are lessons to be learned for both the athlete and the spectator.

Recently John Bytheway published a book called Sports. Life lessons form court, field and gridiron. My grandparents just happen to have it and I have been reading it. I'm not done. I haven't even made it to the football section, but here is one of the quotes. Its found on page 38 and Spencer W Kimball said it.

"I have special luck with my shots tonight, the ball goes through the hoop again and again, and the game ends with our high school team victors against the college team. I am the smallest player and the youngest one on the team. I have piled up the most points through the efforts of the whole team in protecting me and feeding the ball to me. I am on the shoulders of the big players of the Academy. They are parading me around the hall to my consternation and embarrassment. I like basketball. I would rather play this game than eat"

Obviously he must have been a good player. I think that in life if we want to be truly good at something we have to want it more than anything. Like food. This made me think of fast Sunday because fasting is not one of my favorite things. But I should want to obey the law of the fast more than eat food so I will have to be better at it.

2 comments:

Roger said...

It's fast Sunday here now - and Max is woeful - he's now saying that he is feeling sick and thinks he better have some vitamin c - anything will do for food on fast Sunday!

Roger said...

Also - Jeanne said you might come over for a holiday some time - we have lots of YSA (Jesse, Thomas, Alec, and Nathan) here who can take you to activities and show you the town - so come stay with us sometime.